Built in 1765, in what was to become Washington Heights in upper Manhattan, Morris-Jumel Mansion (MJM) served as headquarters for General George Washington during the battle of New York and host to presidents, senators, cabinet members, and royalty. It is now a house museum committed to preserving, interpreting, and making relevant to diverse audiences the Mansion’s historic past and collection of period art and furnishings. To celebrate its 250th anniversary in 2015, MJM is organizing special programs and events including an exhibition of work by the eminent artist Yinka Shonibare MBE; an evening onboard a replica of Lafayette’s frigate L’Hermione; a Washington Heights community celebration; and a nighttime theatrical reenactment of dramatic scenes from MJM’s history.
Morris-Jumel Mansion retained Bow Bridge to support the promotion of its exhibitions, public programs, fundraising events, and the Mansion’s 250th anniversary celebration in 2015. Exhibitions included an installation by Yinka Shonibare MBE and the 2017 exhibition A Taste for Chocolate.